That was the question Crawford Loritts asked over 6,000 women to consider at the start of the True Woman conference in Indianapolis this past Thursday. While his message to us (from 1 John 2:15-17) was to "be in the world but not of the world" ... it's actually a question that has been on my mind for sometime. I suspect that's why God placed it on my heart to attend this True Woman conference ... and to invite my sister-in-law to join me.
Over three years ago, I moved to Lancaster, Pennsylvania. It was an honest response to my husband's desire to move back east, closer to his family, and the overwhelming direction and peace from God that I "follow" him. But once I arrived here, nothing was what I expected. Up until our move to PA, I knew what I wanted to do with my life. Now, I was struggling to understand my purpose (other than being a godly wife) and started second-guessing God and asking, "Why am I here?" After a two year pity party, though, I finally made a conscious decision last year to pray specifically for God to reveal His will for my life. That prayer was answered at the end of my True Woman weekend!
It was an emotionally charged three days. There was a lot to digest! The powerful and God-inspired messages from Nancy Leigh DeMoss, Crawford and Karen Loritts, Janet Parshall, Fern Nichols, and Mary Kassian not only challenged me but convicted my heart (I realize now why the conference team put a package of Kleenex in each attendees bag!).
Here's what I discovered at the end of the conference:
- Had I not moved to Lancaster, it's not likely I, or my sister-in-law, would have attended the True Woman conference.
- I want to be "tethered to the Word of God," spending more time studying and praying (Nancy Leigh DeMoss)
- The "time is now" to take what I learn and pass it on to the next generation.
- "Struggle is just a word for delayed obedience." Ouch! (via Janet Parshall)
- I can be a "mat carrier" - which means praying for the local schools, even though I have no kids attending.
- "True womanhood requires turning from wild to wise and to be intentional in pursuit of Christ and holiness." (Mary Kassian)
- I have the ability with God's help to change my legacy for eternity.
- I have a best friend in my sister-in-law and we share a mutual desire to become true women of God.
Now, may God use both of us to accomplish His purpose!