It's evident all around...our country desperately needs prayer! If you haven't yet heard of "Pray and Act," you'll want to know what it's all about. Here's part of a letter straight from Jim Garlow, not only sharing about this event but also inviting you to participate!
Dear Christian Friends,
Succinctly stated, this is a call to united prayer for our nation from Sept 20 to Oct 30, and to participate in four prayer webcasts. And will you consider forwarding this letter to everyone on your contact list?
Please allow me to introduce myself as this email is going to many I have not met. I am the pastor of Skyline Wesleyan Church (greater San Diego www.skylinechurch.org ), had the privilege of linking with many CA pastors to defend the definition of marriage (Prop 8) in what was known as the Pastors Rapid Response Team, and serve as Chairman of ReAL (Renewing American Leadership www.torenewamerica.com ) in Washington, DC. I am deeply indebted to Chuck Colson, a guiding force in this prayer effort, along with the names listed below.
Through this letter, the persons who have signed below are asking you to:
- join with many Americans in a 40 day prayer and fast period - from Sept 20th to Oct 30th
- join us in four webcasts - Sept 4, 12, 19 and Oct 30 - that prepare us for this 40 day prayer time ?
- forward this letter to as many persons as possible, asking them to go to www.prayandact.com and become part of the massive prayer army, and to watch the webcast from their computers?
Please allow me to explain. We face unprecedented challenges to three foundational principles of justice and the common good:
- The sanctity of human life in all stages and conditions
- The sacredness of marriage as the covenantal union of husband and wife
- The right to religious liberty and respect for conscience
Dr. Robbie George, professor at Princeton University and one of the writers of the Manhattan Declaration, also part of this national call to prayer, noted the following: "These principles are moral treasures of our civilization. They have played indispensable roles in preserving the great experiment in republican government and ordered liberty bequeathed to us by the Founders of our Nation. Yet in our time they have come under severe assault. Abortion, embryo-destructive research, assisted suicide, and euthanasia threaten the sanctity of life. Marriage, already deeply wounded by a culture of infidelity and divorce is now at risk of being redefined and deconstructed. The right of conscientious refusal to participate or be implicated in immoral actions, be they crimes against life or marriage, is increasingly placed in jeopardy."
For these reasons, we call on all faithful Christians to join us in the fight to defend life, protect and revitalize marriage, and preserve religious liberty and the rights of conscience. We must work tireless in all the "seven spheres of cultural influence:" (1) the home, (2) the church, (3) civil government / law / military, (4) business / technology, (5) education, (6) media, and finally (7) arts / entertainment / professional sports.
The foundational moral principles of life, marriage, and conscience need to be preached in our churches, affirmed in our daily conversations, and demonstrated in our private decisions and our personal lives. They must become a guiding force in every local, state and national election - year after year - including this year's election. In fact, they need to be supported in everything we do and say, and in the way we live.
We ask you to Pray and Act:
We need to be in prayer regarding these three principles. We must get down on our knees in humility and pray to God from 2 Chronicles 7:14 on a regular basis.
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
The national 40-day fast will be built on:
- Joel 2 (righteousness) and
- Isaiah 58 (authentic biblical compassion).
The fast will begin at 7:14 am (based on 2 Chronicles 7:14) Eastern time, on Sept 20 and end at 7:14 am, Oct. 30, 2010. Although many will follow only a liquid diet, persons can fast as God directs them during this 40-day span.
In addition to praying and fasting, we are asking you to A.C.T.:
Affirming the Basics - by signing on at www.ManhattanDeclaration.org Nearly 470,000 persons have signed this elegantly written statement; we need to see it exceed one million persons affirming
- Sanctity of life
- Sacredness of marriage
- Preservation of religious liberty.
Conforming our Lives to our talk
- Personal integrity of lifestyle, being authentically biblical Christ-followers, in the spirit of a Joel 2 fast
- Serve others by compassion and action for the less fortunate, alleviating human suffering and systemic poverty in our communities in the spirit of an Isaiah 58 fast (encouraging compassionate acts during the fast and beyond).
Transforming the Culture by a restoration of values
- Serve the common good by speaking up winsomely for the sanctity of life, sacredness of marriage and religious liberty in our workplace and with our friends and neighbors and with the teachers who teach our children in schools, colleges, in the media and particularly in the Church
- Being consistent by voting in all elections for candidates who affirm the sanctity of life in all stages and conditions, the integrity of marriage as the union of one man and one woman, and religious liberty and respect for conscience.
SAVE 4 DATES FOR WEBCASTS TO PREPARE US FOR THE PRAYER TIME:
- National Preparation for Pray & Act - SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 4 - SACRAMENTO, CA, the CA Capitol Building - Webcast on www.God.tv from 9am to 9pm Pacific time. (Come if you can.)
- Seven Day Countdown Event - SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 12 - WASHINGTON, DC, Greater New Hope Baptist Church, 816 Eighth St. NW, Washington, DC - Webcast from www.God.tv - 8pm Eastern, 7pm Central, 6pm Mountain, 5pm Pacific. (Come if you can.)
- Official Launch Event - SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 19 - WASHINGTON, DC - Webcast from www.AFA.com - 8pm Eastern, 7pm Central, 6pm Mountain, 5pm Pacific
- Close Out Event - SATURDAY, OCT 30 - WASHINGTON, DC -Steps of the Lincoln Memorial - Webcast from www.AFA.com at 6pm Eastern, 5pm Central, 4 Mountain, 3pm Pacific.
Thank you for your partnership with Jim Garlow (and other leaders such as Chuck Colson and Vonette Bright)!
For web banners, spots and more information...feel free to contact me! I'd be thrilled to help get you everything you need to share more about this opportunity with your listeners.
Ambassador: We Connect. Ministry and Media.
Download Promo Pack File »